We’re all familiar with the cliche of a dog drinking out of the toilet, but did you know that that could be harmful to your pet? Well, there are numerous ways that plumbing and pet safety go hand in hand.
Nearly two-thirds of American homes have at least one pet, according to the American Pet Products Association. Pets can put a strain on household fixtures, including plumbing, so here are a few tips for keeping both your pet and your home safe.
– Use drain stoppers in your bathtub or sink. Dogs love to shed their fur, and it comes highly recommended that you use drain stoppers or filters to prevent that fur from entering and clogging your pipes.
– Keep the toilet lid down. Yes, as previously mentioned, dogs enjoy drinking out of the toilet bowl. Your pet could risk ingesting residue leftover from cleaning materials. They also may be drinking from the toilet because there is not enough water in your pet’s bowl, so be sure to top off their bowl, and keep the top on your (toilet) bowl.
– Speaking of cleaning materials, keep your cleaning chemicals out of reach. If a pet gets into your bathroom cleaning supplies, it can cause severe sickness. Move your cleaners either higher off the ground or behind cabinet doors.
– Don’t let your dog dig in the backyard. Water or sewer lines could be as shallow as 18 inches beneath the surface of your lawn. Also, that digging can cause issues if you have a sprinkler system.
– Keep cat litter out of the toilet. You may be tempted to flush down any of your cat’s waste, but throw away that kitty litter in the trash to prevent clogging your toilet.
You do a lot every day to care for your pet, as you should, and you should be doing just as much to care for your home. With these pet tips, you can prevent any unwanted damage to your household, and with regular maintenance, you can keep your home’s drains running freely.
But if trouble starts backing its way up and out of your drains, do not hesitate to call 616-866-5134 and speak with the experts at Kellermeier Plumbing. In addition to installation and repair, we also offer 24-hour emergency service.